Tuesday, December 02, 2008

... At the Law School

Today's a bit funny. I made a new friend. Her name is Onosen. She's dark, tall and lovely. She smiles sheepishly although she finds that a bit funny. She smiles shyly. She dresses well. 

Onosen is from Edo State. We've exchanged casual greetings for the past one week since I noticed her. She sat two rows behind me in the "House of Lords". The "House of Lords" is not in England. It is right here in Nigeria at the Lagos campus of the Nigerian Law School. I got to find out that the nomenclature has been handed down from generation of lawyers at the Law School. It's been reiterated even by the lecturers during workshops. Even the lecturers must have sat at the "House of Lords". You'd have easily known that the way they refer to the House of Lords with admiration.

This morning was quite cool although I woke up feeling heavy. I slept quite late yesterday night. Some unfinished business I had to deal with. With my roomies, we walked out of our hostels, a result of a battle at taking a decent bath. Staying at the Law School could be worse than at the university  but it's a sacrifice you must take to be a barrister at law.

After a meal of white rice and plaintain a stone throw from the hostels, I walked into the auditorium with my laptop. While trying to get a space, Onosen invited me to a seat and that's how we became friends. She'd have loved to browse the internet on my laptop, but she couldn't have it for long as soon as we started lectures.

I only spoke to her about 30 minutes ago and it's  quite interesting how down to earth she is. She told me about her family and her aspirations in life. She'd want to teach God's word to people. She feels her mind goading her to doing that but she finds it hard to approach people or talk in front of people. She's shy. It's fun talking to her and I really enjoyed every bit of it. We're going to meet again tomorrow to get to know each other.

No comments: